The red brick school building was erected in 1912 along
the east side of 10th Avenue between 7th and 8th
Streets. The two-story wooden Palmetto
Academy building was
moved from the site to accommodate its
This building consisted of two
stories and a basement. The basement was used to
house the furnace, and for physical education,
showers, dressing rooms, and restrooms.
Interior wooden staircases connected all the floors, with classrooms on floor
one, more classrooms and a small auditorium and
stage on floor two.
Metal fire escapes from the top
floor were provided on both the north and south
sides. Large cement steps provided access to the
first floor at the front (west) side of the
building, and on either side of these cement
stairwells provided access to the
When two other two-story
buildings were built on the one-square block site
during this time, the red brick building was used
as the Junior High.
The red brick building was used
until it was torn down in 1959. The plaque
indicating the year construction was completed, the
builder, and the names of school officials is
presently located in the old Carneige Library
building on 10th Avenue, presently part of
Palmetto's Heritage Park.